Google+ Secret Book Lover: Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost - Review

Tuesday 8 January 2013

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost - Review

 
PREMISE


Half-vampire Catherine Crawfield is going after the undead with a vengeance, hoping that one of these deadbeats is her father – the one responsible for ruining her mother’s life. Then she’s captured by Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, and is forced into an unlikely partnership.
In exchange for help finding her father, Cat agrees to train with the sexy night stalker until her battle reflexes are as sharp as his fangs. She’s amazed she doesn’t end up as his dinner – are there actually good vampires? Pretty soon Bones will have her convinced that being half-dead doesn't have to be all bad. But before she can enjoy her status as kick-ass demon hunter, Cat and Bones are pursued by a group of killers. Now Cat will have to choose a side … and Bones is turning out to be as tempting as any man with a heartbeat.
                                                 ************************************************
How awesome is this?! As you should probably know by now, I love covers. This one just sucked me right in and all of a sudden I wanted to be ginger. (That's funny because I'm Irish. XD) 
It starts off really well. "Cat" Catherine Crawfield is trolling her usual clubs and bars looking for undead to kill when she finally meets her match. She gets captured by this smexy English vampire called Bones (I'm sensing a slight Buffy redo) and has to work as a bounty hunter accomplice...meaning bait. O.o
There wasn't much of a lag in the middle. Most books have that bit were they slow down but this one was actually quite good, The plot got a little more complex but it didn't take away from the story - or confuse me. Kudos there!
I also loved the romance. Bones is h-a-w-t! There are a few believable hiccups along the way - common relationship obstacles, and a few 'vampire-ish' ones. The characters, however are very three- dimensional and it isn't Insta-Love™. Yay!
The ending left me feeling a little bit cheated - massive cliffhanger! This is the first book in an ongoing series though, so take my advice when I tell you it's well worth buying the second!
INTERESTING BITS: 
  • There's a lot of graphic sexual content - not for any lighthearted teens out there. This is ADULT romance. Sex, lots of it.
  • This is one of the few books that I actually love, not just go "Hehh." and forget about within a week. It's definitely worth a go! 
A great read - the first in what I'm sure will be a great series! Just what you need to pull you up from your 'procrastination chairs' and into your 'I read books because I have no life' armchairs by the fire.
I give thee: five witch hats! I was Enchanted! ;)
                       
              * cue balloons and fireworks *


No comments:

Post a Comment