Google+ Secret Book Lover: Paddy's Day & Review

Sunday 17 March 2013

Paddy's Day & Review



Happy St. Paddy's Day! Or as I like to call it, National Get Drunk and Be Patriotic Day! It only happens once a year in Ireland (the patriotism, not the drunkenness), so we tend to go all out!

Also, today I'm going to review Darynda Jones' First Grave on the Right. Here you go:



PREMISE
Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an entity who has been following her all her life…and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.


***********************************
I really enjoyed this book. It's more humour than paranormal romance for me (though Reyes is pretty hot!) and I thought the characters were wonderfully over the top. This is one of those stereotype defying, 'I see myself in you' books and I liked it.

Charley Davidson is a 'grim reaper extraordinaire' who runs her own PI business and solves mysteries for her Uncle Ubie (he's a cop). It helps that she can actually talk to the dead and find out who killed them. She's a blindingly bright light to them and as the 'gateway to heaven', all the dead souls pass on through her. You can imagine how hectic her life is. 

I just love her because she's funny.

The novel starts off when Charley starts having weird dreams and out of body experiences with a sexual deviant. Oh yeah. When she finds out that the aforementioned deviant is not only a 'real boy', but the mysterious and oh so sexy guy she used to know, well, let's just say her curiosity is piqued. She tracks him down and discovers that he has a Big Paranormal Secret....(*cue gasp*) which leads to even more snooping and some delicious tension. On top of all this, she's trying to solve a murder mystery and none of the dead people have any idea who killed them.

......and she does all of this while providing sarcasm. Lots and lots of sarcasm. There, in a nutshell, is why I loved it. (Well, that and Reyes is HAWT!)

I give it: 
Four hats! It was enchanting!

********************************

Yeah, I know. It's only a short review today. I'm shattered from Paddy's day festivities, but I'll make it up to you guys with more reviews during the week. Let me just leave you with these two messages:
                                    




No comments:

Post a Comment